The Irish Whip

One Irish fan's perspective on the weird wide world of professional wrestling

11 July 2005

Why I'm Still A Fan

I'm starting this blog at a strange time for pro wrestling, and especially for myself as a fan. Because frankly, I'm sick of it.

I started watching the World Wrestling Federation about 15 years ago, WCW soon after, and then a little later kept track of the Japanese promotions and the US indie scene through magazines like Pro Wrestling Illustrated. I started watching, and kept watching, during a time when wrestling was definitely not cool.

I was there for the last gasps of Hulkamania; I read with awe about the birth of 'extreme' in Philadelphia, and the revolution that was the New World Order; I stuck out the blandness of the mid-90s for the dawn of the 'Attiude' era, when suddenly it was cool to admit to being a fan. And I'm just about hanging on now, as the 'sport' languishes in the doldrums.

I look back on the early years now and I cringe at how bad some of it was. But the stories were gripping, the build-ups to the major shows were meticulous, and the end result was generally more satisfying than what we're served with today.

I keep watching, week after week. I watch with hope despite myself, waiting for that special something to make me jump out of my seat. But, barring the odd exception, it never comes.

I long for the theatre and excitement, and the top-class skill and athleticism that drew me to wrestling in the first place. What I get are openly racist gimmicks like Kerwin White or Muhammad Hassan or The Mexicools, or reckless, characterless, muscle-bound freaks who'll be physical wrecks before you can say 'Superstar Billy Graham'.

I still watch, but I find myself fast-forwarding through most of the shows, bored by the tired angles written by washed-up soap writers who've never watched wrestling a day of their lives; bored by the bland, repetitive ring-work; and insulted by the lack of respect for the fans, the people who pay their salaries. It's almost like I'm watching out of obligation, like a chore.

Frankly, I'm sick of it.

Yet one Sunday this past June, in the middle of the night, during ECW's One Night Stand, I remembered why I used to love wrestling so much -- and why I still do, in spite of it all. It's because it was fun.

There were no politics, there was no bullshit. Just an incredible atmosphere, some old-school angles, and kick-ass wrestling. They went out there and they put on a show for the fans, and it was great fun. No matter how the WWE contingent tried to ruin it, they couldn't dampen the spirit of fun felt by each and every fan in attendance, and doubtless each and every person who watched the show at home.

Watching ECW come back to life for that one night was an invigorating experience for me for another reason. I'd never really seen ECW wrestling before a few weeks ago, when my copy of The Rise + Fall of ECW arrived in the post. But after reading about it online and in the pages of Power Slam for over a decade - left out in the proverbial cold - getting a chance to relive the last 10 years with that incredible documentary, and then watching One Night Stand live in the wee hours, made me feel like I was finally invited to the party.

And it also reminded me that there is still a world beyond Vince McMahon's vision of wrestling. There's still a flourishing indie scene in the States, a rapidly growing one in the UK (and even here in Ireland). Japanese wrestling is still producing excellent performers, and lucha libre is enjoying a resurgence in Mexico.

They say that pro wrestling is a cyclical business. I'm starting this blog with the hope that the downturn is making way for the upswing.

I'll be commenting on notable happenings in wrestling all over the world, the good and the bad. I'll be reviewing the major events, both those to come and those of times past. I'll be critiquing the weekly shows, calling it like I see it.

And I'll be doing it all through the perspective of someone who just can't help being a wrestling fan. It's in my blood.

1 Comments:

At 9:54 a.m., Blogger Graham - GAD123 said...

I 100% agree with that post! All the amazing 'stunts' the build up and the show have drifted away...

That ECW event was so cool, old school FUN!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home