The Irish Whip

One Irish fan's perspective on the weird wide world of professional wrestling

24 July 2005

SmackDown! Notes 22.07.05

- Rey Misterio and Super Crazy open the show with an entertaining, if a little strange, contest. Lots of lucha-style exchanges but with a methodical, almost plodding pace which reeked of management telling the pair to tone down their wrestling styles. And that's beside the fact that the bout played second fiddle to Rey Rey's feud with Eddie 'I used to be Eddy' Guerrero - who sat himself at ringside for most of the match, spouting nonsense to Tazz while the action went on sans commentary, and then rushed the ring to attack Misterio for a cheap ending.

- I'm pretty much bored with this silly 'secret' business by now; I hope the Bash this weekend will see the end of it.

- Eddie tries to leave the arena afterwards but Teddy Long isn't having any of it. He puts Eddie in a match against a 'mystery opponent' later on in the show.

- You know, I'm glad Teddy Long is still around. He's one of the last people still going strong from when I started watching wrestling back in the day.

- I'm ignoring the stupid JBL promos.

- Animal and Heidenreich squash a couple of jobbers in about 30 seconds. Ah, it's like Wrestling Challenge all over again...

- Eddie comes out for his match with... Chris Benoit! Revenge for One Night Stand, perhaps? Of course not - they didn't even mention it. Ironically, the match itself was just as unremarkable, especially by their usual standards. Sure, it might have been better than I thought, but I was tired, and it didn't exactly perk me up.

- Long story short: Benoit wins by count-out when Eddie abandons the match. Then Eddie gets blindsided by Misterio at the entrance area. I'm still yawning.

- Quote of the Week: "Now I respect you Booker, and I respect what you do in this ring. But what I don't respect is your wife Sharmell, and I don't respect the way that she goes to the buffet line not one, not twice, but five times! Five times! Five times!" Simon Dean, you saved this whole show for me.

- The rest doesn't even deserve commenting on, other than that bit where the censors bleeped Batista for saying 'act'... well that's what it sounded like to me, anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home